According to the PRO of the church, Mr. Churchill Akure, he told Warri Times that:
The Diocese of Sapele, Anglican Communion was hit with a crisis which began on Tuesday, 28th July, 2015 during a Diocesan Youth Summit held at the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Sapele. When the protest came to disrupt the service on that day, it was a group of assailants from Sapele who were not members of the Church that were used, under the coordination of youth leaders of the Cathedral, the People’s Warden and a Senior Clergy of the Cathedral.
THE ABDUCTION OF THE BISHOP AND HIS WIFE ON 28TH JULY, 2015:
While the evil agenda of that day was being unleased, the assailants and imported youths came into the Church with placards. After much effort to dissuade the participating youths from retaliations, they left and came in again and again, to embarrass the Bishop. Lastly, they drove all the youths who were participating out. They locked the front and back doors, this time being controlled by the Cathedral People’s Warden, Mr. Oghenero Onojorhovwo, who had also put off the generating plant powering the public address system.
As the place went wild, the Bishop and his wife and some Clergy ensured the participating youths left. As he attempted to leave through the alternative doorways behind the Cathedral, he found that it was locked and the front that was earlier opened. As they could not get out, the padlock had to be broken for them to come out. Padlock to the back exit gate had to be broken for the Bishop to get out to his residence. All these events are in a video clip.
CONTINUING DISTURBANCES OF PUBLIC PEACE, PROVOCATING PUBLICATIONS, ETC:
1. Since the problem, they have gone to the press severally to publish lies away from reality on ground.
2. They have severally gone to the Bishop’s court to hit the gates and cause security threats until the Diocese had to relocate the Bishop from the temporal Cathedral house being used as Bishop’s court to a new place.
3. These people have gone to invite the EFCC, AIG Police, Area Command Police to make arrest to embarrass the Bishop on several occasions up till now.
4. The Cathedral gate and doors were locked under lock and key for weeks. The Primate wrote them to open the doors. Several traditional rulers, Bishops of other Diocese, etc made frantic efforts to open it to no avail. It was a court injunction that had to be taken to open the Cathedral that these protesters obeyed. They defied all advice except court, take note.
5. These persons did lots of voodoo on some, lured some others and threatened some, just to get them to join their train. As they did this, with lots of hate messages against the Bishop, they had four churches involved (but not all members of these churches are in support). Many others were tempted to join, with flamboyant excuses. They have a team of evil missionaries that visit Church treasurers, with several calls, visits and other voodoo means. In the last one year, they have made efforts to secure the position of treasurership in churches at their vestry meetings. In many of these places they have failed.
6. In some churches where the treasurer refused, like St. John, Amukpe, they resorted to impeaching the PCC by themselves through illegal and un-church means. This matter is under legal battle.
7. As these persons know they will be punished for these evils, they went to court to take court coverage from being punished. This is still in court.
8. Whenever the Diocese had a programme, they made efforts to disrupt it. Examples were the Synod of 2016 at Amukpe, the Talithacumi Solemn Assembly in January 2016, but shifted few days to its commencement.
Source: Warri Times